The group is located in its own suite of staff offices, laboratories and clean rooms in the IT building, level 1 (ground floor) and level 2.
Many of our facilities are shared with the Manchester Centre for Mesoscience and Nanotechnology which is housed in the group's cleanrooms.
The facilities we have available include:
- Film deposition equipment
- PlasmaQuest HiTus Sputtering System
- Leybold Haraeus Electron Beam Evaopration System
- Moorfield MiniLab System: evaopration, sputtering, ion-milling & reactive plasma etching
- Electron Beam Lithography
- LEO 1530 Gemini FEG SEM (1nm resolution imaging resolution) and Raith Elphy Plus Lithography System with Laser Interferometer Stage
- Scanning Electron Microscopy
- down to 1nm resolution using LEO 1530 Gemini FEG SEM and FEI XL30 Sirion FEG SEM
- Optical Lithography
- Karl Suss MJB-4
- Oxford Plasmalab System 100 Deep Reactive-Ion Etcher
- Microtech Laser Writer
- ADE Technologies Model 10 Vector Vibrating Sample Magnetometer (VSM).
- Home-built alternating gradient field magnetometer (AGFM),
- Home-built magneto optical kerr effect (MOKE) magnetometer,
- Home-built dragtester for analysis of hard drive magnetic materials
The interactive maps below give some idea of the facilities available.